Police outside the Time Warner Building in New York City, where CNN's New York bureau was evacuated after a suspicious device was found in the mailroom. (TIMOTHY A. CLARY/AFP/Getty Images)
BOSTON (WBZ-AM) -- Potential explosive devices have shown up this morning in the mail of several prominent Democrats and at least one news organization in what officials have called an "act of terror."
Devices were addressed to former Secretary of State and 2016 presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, and to former President Barack Obama in Washington, D.C. Those devices were intercepted at sorting centers, and neither were in any danger.
The US Secret Service has referred to the packages sent to the Clintons and Obamas as "possible explosive devices." They said they were discovered late Tuesday and early Wednesday. Those devices are similar to a bomb found Monday at the compound of billionaire philanthropist George Soros, and investigators believe they are connected.
In addition, the Miami offices of former Democratic National Committee Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz have been evacuated after the discovery of a suspicious package. CNN reports that the package was addressed to former Attorney General Eric Holder, but ended up at Wasserman Schultz's office because that address was listed as the return label.
CNN also reported that a suspicious package was intercepted at a Congressional mail facility in Capitol Heights, Maryland, addressed to California Rep. Maxine Waters.
CNN headquarters in New York in the Time Warner Building were evacuated due to a possible explosive device found in the mail room. That device was addressed to former CIA Director John Brennan. Brennan works as a contributor for MSNBC, not CNN. The ATF is there investigating.
At a press conference, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said security was being stepped up at media locations across the city, but that there were no other specific threats.
"What we saw here today was an effort to terrorize," de Blasio said. "This clearly is an act of terror, attempting to undermine our free press."
The White House, meanwhile, has condemned what it calls attempted attacks on Clinton and Obama, saying the acts were "despicable," and that anyone responsible would be held accountable to the full extent of the law.
So far, nobody has claimed responsibility for sending these devices.
Reports of a third device sent to the White House were incorrect, the Secret Service said.
This story will be updated with more information as it becomes available.