MONSON, Mass. (WBZ NewsRadio) — Crews from utility company Columbia Gas are in Monson Tuesday evening to deal with a possible over-pressurization issue.
Columbia gas said they've identified the issue and are currently working to repair it.
The company told WBZ NewsRadio the situaiton is considered safe, and they are working with local police and fire, conducting leak surveys "out of an abundance of caution."
Monson Police said Columbia Gas officials reported the possible over-pressurization to them around 5 p.m. Tuesday.
"As a precaution, they have dispatched workers to the area to check their infrastructure but advise that there are no ongoing safety concerns," the department said on their Facebook page.
Police warned that anyone who smells natural gas should get out of their building and call 911.
Columbia Gas was the utility company involved in last September's Merrimack Valley gas disaster, which left one person dead, damaged dozens of buildings, and left residents without gas service for months.
This story will be updated with more information as it becomes available.