BOSTON (WBZ NewsRadio) – While musical greeting cards bring smiles to people’s faces, they may also deliver danger.
According to Recycle Smart, these cards have button batteries that contain mercury, which is toxic to humans when inhaled or ingested. Therefore, these batteries should be considered as household hazardous waste and treated accordingly.
“Button batteries are in so many things and it was surprising for me to be reminded that they are in those singing cards,” said Janice Pare with the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection.
She said that because these musical cards are battery-powered, they should not be placed directly in the recycling or trash when throwing them away. Instead, these batteries and electronics should be removed before being disposed. The batteries must be dropped off for safe handling.
“Some communities have battery collections at a transfer station,” Pare added. All other greeting cards should go into the trash.
To learn more about safe battery handling and collection locations, people can visit Call2Recycle.org.
WBZ’s Matt Shearer (@MattWBZ) has more: